Monday, November 9, 2015

Book Review: The Photograph


The Photograph by Beverly Lewis.

The story is about three Amish sisters, Eva, Frona, and Lily. Their brother Menno has decided to move into the family farmhouse with his wife after the death of their widowed mother. Unfortunately this means he is forcing his unmarried sisters to move out.

The youngest sister, Lily, disappears in the middle of the night leaving a note that she does not want to be found, she has decided to go "fancy" and leave her Amish life for the English life. Will they be able to find her and convince her to come home?

Jeb travels to Lancaster County from Ohio as a buggy shop apprentice. On the train he finds the book "Little Women" with lots of notes in the margins that Jeb finds intriguing. Inside the book is a photograph of an Amish girl! On the same day, he meets Eva at a gathering and thinks it is her in the photo, and her notes in the book that he feels a connection to. But is it really Eva he is feeling connected too?

I really enjoyed this book. It was a fast read for me because I didn't want to put it down, the story flowed well and I love when a book does that. I liked all of the characters, except for Menno! I did not like Menno's character at all, he is so arrogant and holding no compassion it seems.

I hope we will see the other two sisters stories evolve in the next books!

I was given a free copy of this book from Bethany House for my honest opinion.

4 comments:

Farmhouse prims said...

Hi Jessica, so glad you liked the book. I read it and for some reason I just didn't think it was Beverly Lewis' best work. But most of the time I love her books. hugs, Lecia

Cootie Bug said...

PS to my comment that I just posted -- I am referring to the first one in your post.

Cootie Bug said...

Looks like my first comment didn't show up after all. I wrote that I would like to read the first book on your post.

Dirt Road Primitives said...

Jessica so happy to come by your blog, found it through you posting on mine :) thank you for visiting.....we have a lot in common, other than homeschooling....my children are all grown......I use to read a lot but crafting has taken over every spare moment of my days. But whenever I do read it definetly is Amish style books of my choice....

Thank you again for visiting my blog, hope you do again....

Blessings
Rhonda