Friday, May 15, 2015

Book Review: Amish Promises



I just finished reading Amish Promises by Leslie Gould. (Fiction)

This is the story of two families who have different beliefs and struggles, but serve one God.

Shani moves her war veteran husband and their son to her father's farm in Lancaster County, PA. Shani is hoping this move will help her husband and their marriage. Her husband Joel is injured and suffering from PTSD. Joel's best friend Charlie comes by often to help out, you will find that he is a very loyal and honorable man.

Eve and her brother Tim Lehman are Amish and live on the neighboring farm where Eve takes care of Tim's five motherless children. Shani's son accidentally involves one of the Amish boys in an accident, bringing the two families into each others lives. He soon becomes friends with the Amish neighbors children by way of helping with the injured son's chores, but their father Tim is not happy about the Englisch neighbors and their influence on his sister and his children. Eve loves her nieces and nephews; she made a promise to her dying sister in law to take care of her children, a promise Eve will not break. However, Joel's best friend Charlie has suddenly captured Eve's attention and maybe even her heart.

I really liked reading about Shani and Eve's friendship. It's almost like they have always been friends, the kind of friendship we all would feel blessed with! Sharing kids and homes, serving each other in love.

There is a lot going on in this book and many more characters you will meet.

I admit that it was a little difficult to remember who was who in the first several chapters, there are so many names in this story!

I also really liked Zane's character (Shani and Joel's son.) The Amish children are a wonderful influence on him and it shows. I wonder if we will be seeing more of his story in one of the upcoming books? It seemed there were a couple of subtle hints about that possibility.

I enjoyed this book and give it 4 stars, out of 5. I can't wait for book two to come out!

I was given a free copy of this book from Bethany House for my honest opinion.

5 comments:

Christine said...

Sounds like my kind of read! Thanks for a great review!
Hope you are all doing well and enjoying spring!

Margaret said...

I just got this one too! I tend to rad one or two a week! Amish fiction is so great! I love your blog. I'm in the archives reading your past posts too! Love ya! Maggie/Maggie's Lil' Fixins



















Weekend-Windup said...

Book sounds great. I love to read them...

Karen Martinsen said...

Hi Jessica
Oh I love all Amish books - you should see my collection. I think, no I know, I have all the ones all the authors publish.
This book is on my wishlist for the next Amazon order - or if I see it in a store.
Thanks for the review!
Blessings
Karen

Jessica said...

Hello ladies! I do not see how to reply individually and your comments did not come to my email!

Hi Christine and Weekend-Windup! It is a great book! I hope you will get a chance to read it!

Hi Maggie! I really like your blog, happy to have you come by mine!

Hi Karen! I loved hearing about your collection, that is so neat! I love to find other Amish fiction fans!