Saturday, September 20, 2014

Garden Update again

We got rid of most of the tomato plants. Their spots were quite bare so we picked up some new flowers at Home Depot. We planted mums and an ornamental pepper in the patio planter. (Anabelle always puts eggshells on the plants to keep bugs from eating them. She's so thoughtful and caring to our garden.)





Gary's bell pepper plant came back to life! I am amazed, thought for sure it was a goner.



Gary's habaneros are finally taking off as well. This plant is loaded with peppers.



This pot has been bare for awhile. It had some nasty looking overgrown succulent in it, and it was loaded with spiders, slugs, and a wasp nest, yuck! Anabelle helped me raise the soil level with dirt from around the yard. I think it looks so much better planted with white and purple alyssum and a purple petunia!



The volunteer bell peppers are doing okay. One is starting to fruit. Yay! Next to them, our neighbor's tangerine tree is loaded with green fruit. This branch is suddenly hanging down real low into our yard. I need to find a long enough stick to prop it up. Don't want it breaking! (I know it looks like there's a stick already there, there is, but it is too short and is not even touching the branch.) These tangerines are soooo good. Our neighbor said this tree fruits every other year! I thought that was interesting. We were eating from the tree last year, but there wasn't much left on the tree and we went through them quickly. Now I understand why. We are antsy for all these green orbs to turn orange!



We planted new petunias in this wood pot. Petunias last a long time here, almost an entire year.



Pretty soon we'll have to deflate all these and put them away. We try to keep them stored on the patio when not in use. The sun and the dog ruin them if left out. I've had to patch the orange ring twice and we haven't had them for very long.



It's time to recycle Anabelle's house box. She's had a lot of fun with it! We never got around to painting it red.



p.s. Been in the craft room as often as I can get in there! I've been working on a fall swap! Hoping to hit an antique store or two before I have to mail my box.

1 comment:

Randa said...

Sounds like you guys are getting busier and busier!:)

Your garden looks great! Aly would be in heaven to have that fruit at her fingertips! She has been begging us to get a fruit tree, but like I keep telling her we don't know how long we will be here in this house, and until we are in a more permanent place where we will get to enjoy the fruit.... I'm a bad mom.