Friday, December 16, 2011

Madeleine Cookies

Yesterday I found a surprise in the mail from Cyndy at Crafty Stitchers! She sent a Christmas card and an ornament to say thank you for her stocking! How sweet! It has already found a spot on our Christmas tree. :grin:



Last night I made about 50 madeleine cookies. I had never heard of them before, until my son came home from school one day this week and said he needed to make them for a class project.

Thankfully a friend had a silicone madeleine pan (hubby drove all over Colorado trying to find any pan) and we made them in the nick of time for his "luncheon" today. I have to say they aren't bad! But we'll have to buy a metal pan, they don't brown well in silicone pans. (I had never used silicone to bake food before. I can't say I am a big fan of them other than for crafting needs.)

The recipe he chose was pretty basic. There are better ones out there. I bet the lemon ones taste awesome.

If you don't have madeleine pans, this blogger says that mini muffin pans work just as well.

Pastry Sampler has great tips and a recipe with honey I'd like to try.

So here are our results, day after photos. These are more like a cake than a cookie. Last night they were crunchy and soft, this morning they are just soft. I liked them better fresh.



And here they are with a little too much powdered sugar dusting.


We definitely want to make these again. Next time we'll use metal pans, less batter is better, and make lemon ones. Our first time making these, was an adventure in baking, we know what not to do next time.

11 comments:

Amy said...

Very cute ornament. I'm not sure I've tried that type of cookie before. Been baking all morning though.. ;O)

Christine said...

I love the kitty! How kind and it's so much fun to receive little surprises in the mail!
Yummy cookies too!
Merry Christmas

Cindy said...

What a cute kitty ornie!! Surprises are so fun to get in the mall...how very sweet of Cyndy. The cookies look yummy!! I'm going to make my Christmas cookies this coming week.
hugs,
Cindy

Kendra said...

Love the kitty, he looks just like Twinkle! i got one last year in an ornie swap and I love him.
I spent the day making cinn. rolls for a bake sale. They are not getting the good stuff you sent though!
Congrats on your win from Valley Prims!
Kendra

Angie Berry said...

Hmm... never heard of that kind of cookie. Looks good though, especially with the powdered sugar... yum!

Cute little kitty! Glad to be back over here to do some catching up with ya, I'm a little behind. :|

Trace said...

Look yummy to me Friend.
What fun for you son too.
Love the ornies too.
Love & JOY
Trace

Randa said...

i've heard of those. just figured they were too fancy for us! lol what kind of a project were they doing?

Jessica said...

Glad to see you around Angie!

Angie Berry said...

Thanks! I have missed you and seeing what all you are up to! :smile:

Jessica said...

They're only too fancy if you want them to be. LOL. I should have just used mini muffin pans. But Justin was set on making them like they are supposed to look. Honestly, I don't think anyone cared how they looked at the luncheon, and they weren't graded on their food.

The kids were to choose a country, a holiday from the country and a recipe. They had to write about the country's holiday, the recipe they chose, and a third page convincing everyone to try their food and why. Then they had to draw a map of their country. And lastly make their recipe to share with the class. This year there is three 5th grade classes and there was enough food for the other classes to try each other's food out. It was pretty cool, another mom and I thought it would be fun to do this at our own houses. :grin: So I think we'll let Justin and Anabelle choose and we'll make something special maybe a couple times a month or something.

My favorite at the luncheon was this curry shrimp stuff. Justin's friend made it. I had never had curry anything before and was surprised I liked it!

Jaana said...

Stopping by all my friends tonight to wish you a very merry Christmas and a happy New Year! ☆ Those Madeleine cookies looks nice, I had heard the name, but had no idea how they look like. One recipe that I just found in Finnish suggested dipping one end into melted chocolate. That could be yummy. :)

Happy holidays once more!